Home » Major Writings » Cover Letter

Cover Letter

February 6, 2023

Tyler Ortiz
966 Saint Nicholas Ave
New York, NY 10032

Elisabeth von Uhl
160 Convent Ave
New York, NY 10031

Dear Professor von Uhl:

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Tyler Ortiz, and I am a transfer student in your course Writing for Engineering in the spring 2023 semester. As a new computer science major in the Grove School of Engineering, I am looking forward to deepening my understanding of programming and learning how to be successful as a software engineer.

As a child, I had an unceasingly deep curiosity about computers and machinery. I would often grab electronics and open them up to ascertain how these machines worked. I have always been extremely drawn to video games and emerging technology; watching the evolution of computers and cellphones growing up was a revelatory experience. I began to understand my passion lies in understanding, and later creating, the hardware and software that makes up our lives in our modern age.

As a student in your Writing for Engineering course, I anticipate learning how to write considerably more concisely and professionally. I am excited to become more proficient in sharing my ideas clearly to sell my skills to prospective employers, get across my thoughts professionally, receive funding for research projects, and various other applications. While programming is the main focus of what I want to do as a software engineer, being able to communicate efficiently is an extremely important aspect of collaboration; the skills I learn in this class will be very beneficial for achieving my career goals.

Outside of your Writing for Engineering course, I have many ways of achieving my goal of software engineering. I look forward to becoming involved in different extra curriculars here at CCNY and making connections with my peers. I also plan to continue working on a research project I started at my last college, Borough of Manhattan Community College, called doorfront.org. Doorfront.org is a crowdsourced web application focused on collecting large-scale accessibility data of NYC store fronts to ease the travel stress of the blind and visually impaired using Google Streetview and AI learning. Getting involved with projects like this is how I hope to make my first steps into my career as a software engineer.

I am excited to make the most of this semester and every semester here at City College!

Sincerely,

Tyler Ortiz